[Sca-cooks] Fascinating article on yet another eating contest...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 13 10:16:58 PDT 2008

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/080413/K041302AU.html

Most people know about the Nathan's Coney Island Hot Dog Eating
Competition every year, and I knew vaguely about oyster-eating
competitions in New Orleans. Well, okay, to me, the actual winning of
the contest wasn't so interesting as the revelation (I guess I already
knew this on some level) that there are professional eaters --
basically, professional athletes whose sport is eating competitions,
not to mention the fact that many of the competitions in the US are
organized by the same promoter's company. Then there are some really
obscure products featured as the centerpiece of some competitions:
deep-fried asparagus?

"So, Evil Spawn, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I wanna be a professional eater just like 'Deep Dish' Bertoletti!"

As the saying goes: Oy. I suppose it's no worse for you than
professional football.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter