[Sca-cooks] 12th Century English recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 17 22:26:00 PDT 2008

Jana declared:
<<< I have been serfing your flori thing and I found it rather
frustrating
looking for receipes from the late 12th century, english. >>>

That's because there are no known 12th century English recipes. I'm
sure others will correct me, if that is wrong.:-)

The earliest European (other than Andalusian Spain, as Master
Cariadoc has pointed out) is this cookbook, which can be found in the
FOOD-BOOKS section of the Florilegium:
Harpstrang-cb-msg (37K)  1/31/05    The Harpestraeng cookbook. The
oldest
                                        cookbook in the Western
medieval Europe.

And it isn't English, either. Although the copies have been found in
northern Europe, it is most likely from southern Europe.

There are these two files in the FOOD-BY-REGION section, but the
recipes in them are mostly conjectures arrived at from studying
archeological sites and non-recipe records and writings.
fd-Anglo-Saxn-msg (28K)  6/25/06    Food of Anglo-Saxon England.