[Sca-cooks] Depression Era Foods

Cindy Sorenson wolfhawke81 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 27 06:49:02 PDT 2008

My old landlady in Utah had been born in 1905, and lived through 3 Depressions.  She was raising 3 kids during the Great Depression.  During the late 80's, early 90's, she told me that she was seeing the signs of another Depression, and she wanted to make sure I knew how to survive.  I'd been taught the Native Old Ways long ago, so have most of the ancient skills to survive; but, she wanted to make sure I knew even more.  I am spoiled by a group of hunters here that bless me with all the deer I can use every winter; and last week, Rosie called to see if I like wild turkey! The season is about to open.  :8)  I get $50 / month in food stamps, which doesn't go very far... but, with game meats to enjoy, it goes a lot farther!

Then, there's my dear daughter (35) who tells me NO ONE can survive without credit cards!  I told her Mother DOES - and she'd better LEARN!  I reminded her that ONE day, those cards have to be paid off!  It is really scary to think what people will do once a full Depression hits.  The store I worked at just closed down.  I refuse to look for another job just to get minimum wage all over again.  I'm working with my OWN business where I have control, and can survive.  I told one co-worker that we're among the lucky ones because we are among the first.  At least one other store here is already struggling; and with time, more and more are going to be looking for new jobs, and being forced to drive 60 miles to find them.  Right now, I'm fighting to get all of my bills caught up so I can buy a house with at least a 1 acre yard so I can be about 95% self-sufficient!  I KNOW what is coming; and while most want to stay 'blind' to the fact, I plan to be prepared!