[Sca-cooks] 100 tips for Frugal Feasts (and fish feasts)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 23:27:56 PDT 2008

Vitha suggested:

<<< 1) Make friends with your favorite grocery store employees.
Talk to your grocery meat/ seafood/ produce managers.  Explain what
you are
doing and the quantity you need. >>>

More along those lines, a very good article on this subject by
Adamantius:
HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with
your local
                                        butcher.

<<< 2) Portion control - can't stress that enough.  I always cook a
"test feast"
before I cook for the masses.  I hold a dinner party,...>>>

practice-fsts-msg  (7K)  2/14/01    Using practice feasts.

<<< *I just finished a feast for $7/head: Starter, 3 meats, cheese
course &
dessert - underbudget. (Including the sea bass) >>>

Did I miss a feast report and menu? If not, I'd like to see it. How
well did the fish go over? I was wondering if that was the only meat
you had, but upon re-reading it saw that you had three (other?)
meats. Fish often seems to get mixed reviews in the SCA, although it
can be done successfully, even feasts with no other meats.
feasts-fish-msg   (30K)  6/26/06    Serving fish at SCA feasts.
fish-feast-art     (6K)  3/29/00    Details and recipes for a mid-Lent
                                        "fish feast" by Rudd Rayfield.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas