[Sca-cooks] "Glatt Kosher" and "Ashkanzic Kosher"?

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Fri Aug 1 17:51:37 PDT 2008

Sindara here.  I was raised in a strictly kosher home, my grandfather
being a "shochet"-the person who kills the meat in the way that makes
it kosher.  In his case, he was the person in charge in the poultry
market.  Anyway, part of an animal being kosher is checking for
blemishes and signs of disease in the animal.  There are some things
that are "ok" to have that don't effect the animal being
kosher.  Glatt kosher means that not only is the animal killed
properly, salted and soaked to remove the blood, it has also been
checked for blemishes and there are none.

Concerning the other item of Sephardic VS Ashkanazic Jewish customs,
there are differences in what they eat on different holidays.  In
particular, Ashkanzic Jews are stricter on Passover then Sephardic
Jews.  Sephardic Jews will eat rice, corn and beans-legumes on this
holiday.  Ashkanazic Jews do not.  They feel that since you can make
bread out of these items, that you can have a problem with
leavening.  It is basically a "fence"- an extra restriction to make
sure that you keep the leavening out of the home.

Hope this answers the question.

Sindara
mundanely Ashkanazic by Sephardic in the SCA