[Sca-cooks] Silly season-birthdays

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 14:33:10 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Dragon <dragon at crimson-dragon.com> wrote:

> Margaret Rendell wrote:
>
> a) doesn't it get post-marked that day if you just drop it in a kerbside
>> box? Why do you have to go in to the office?
>>

> Up to a certain time of day, yes. But after the collection times for the
> boxes, no. The post office stays open until midnight on that day.
>
> b) am I reading this correctly that you have to send any payment owing when
>> you submit the return?
>>

> Yes, you are reading that correctly. If you owe on your taxes, the payment
> is due when you file.
>
> However, if you can't pay the amount owed, up front, the interest/penalty
on it is only 1/2% a month, whereas, if you don't file on time, and you owe,
there's an additional 5% penalty and interest assessed (up to 25%, $100
minimum); so it behooves one to file, even if one cannot pay.  This is
another reason that April 15th is a day full of rabid people in
lines/queues....

Of course, in some states, they make an event out of it, so people are more
friendly.  Sometimes, there're even hot drinks, local vendors, and all.
Everyone sharing sob stories....that's not so bad.  Weird that so many
people are up so late.....