[Sca-cooks] grains of paradise

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 8 00:01:25 PDT 2008

Ian of Oertha asked:

<<< Okay, dumb question. >>>

Well, I hope not. I seem to remember asking this same question a
while back...

<<< What are grains of paradise, where are they from, what
food do they feature in, what do they taste like (so I can figure out
what
complements them), and how much is necessary for a dish? >>>

It is a pepper-like seed with a lot more variety of subtle flavors
than regular black pepper.

Take a look at this file in the PLANTS, HERBS and SPICES section of
the Florilegium.
G-of-Paradse-msg  (76K) 12/ 4/06    History and use of the spice
Grains of
                                        Paradise.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/G-of-Paradse-msg.html

Stefan