[Sca-cooks] freshwater vs. saltwater eels

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 8 22:08:35 PDT 2008

Back on June 6, Antonia di Benedetto Calvo commented:
<<< I'm choosy about offal-- >>>

I guess that makes you awful choosey?  :-)

<<< I'm fond of haggis, pate, chicken livers, and
sausages, but _hate_ kidneys with the fire of a thousand suns. Marrow is
pretty harmless, and freshwater eels are delectable.  (Most people here
would consider smoked eel a treat.) >>>

Is there a difference in taste between saltwater and freshwater eels?
I've only eaten eel which was smoked and canned, although I think I
have some frozen eel that I've yet to cook.

Or are all eels saltwater eels that live most of their lives in
freshwater and migrate to salt water to spawn? (hmmm. or maybe the
reverse?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas