[Sca-cooks] Wanted: Bean Recipes

euriol euriol at ptd.net
Mon Aug 11 09:59:07 PDT 2008

Here are three recipes from Marx Rumpolt (courtesy of
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_veggie1.htm):

19. Beans cooked with beef broth and bacon/ that is cut small
also with green welltasting herbs/ that are chopped small.

20. Roman beans [fava beans] you can prepare on a meat day/ shells [skins]
included with a beef broth/ ginger and butter. But if it is on a fast day/
so cook it with peabroth/ pepper and butter
so they become lovely and good.

21. You can also fry beans with bacon/ so they become good and welltasting.

I have cooked recipe 21 a couple of times. I cook 1 pound of bacon until
crispy leaving the drippings in the pan and draining the bacon on a towel.
I then add 3 cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas) which have been rinsed and
drained to the bacon fat, until the chickpeas get slightly browned. This
was very popular mixed with the roasted onion salad I prepared for a feast
3 years ago. The reason I choose chickpeas was one of my friends asked me
not to use fava beans.

Euriol