[Sca-cooks] Wanted: Bean Recipes

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon Aug 11 10:01:34 PDT 2008

Martha Oser wrote:
>Greetings all!  I hope everyone that went to Pennsic had a great
>time and everyone that stayed home had a great time too!
>Now that we're back, it's time for my husband and I to start eating
>healthier and lower carb again.
>I am currently looking for some good bean recipes to use as side
>dishes for our dinners, since beans are on the "authorized" list for
>Phase 1.  By this I mean recipes involving things like kidney beans,
>navy beans, pinto beans, and so on, and go beyond just the standard
>baked beans/pork & beans thing.
>Please, no beans & rice, since rice is currently on the "not
>authorized" list.
>Any recipe suggestions will be gladly received.
>Many thanks!

Why not just Louisiana style red beans? Just serve it without the
rice. Good, tasty stuff. This is a very good recipe for it:
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

I like to make a variety of bean, lentil and pea soups. They are all
pretty simple and easy to make and follow a general formula like this:

1 lb dry beans, split peas or lentils
4 to 6 cups good stock of your choice (I like ham, chicken or turkey)
(Optional) diced cooked ham, chicken, turkey or smoked sausage
1-2 tbsp. fat (vegetable oil, lard, bacon fat as you like)
3 or 4 carrots peeled and grated
A clove or two of garlic, minced.
1 large onion diced
A couple bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

If using dry beans, soak overnight, lentils and split peas need no soaking.

Heat the fat and sweat the onion and garlic. Brown the meat in the
fat before adding the onion and garlic if you are using meat.

Put the beans/lentils/peas (drained if soaked), the stock, the meat,
onion and bay leaves. Simmer covered until the beans are tender. STIR
FREQUENTLY to keep from burning. Add the carrot about 30 minutes
before serving. Season to taste.

A good chili with beans is also an option. (I can hear the Texans
protesting now... I don't care).

Bean salads can be nice too. Kidney beans and garbanzos tossed with a
vinaigrette and let to marinate for a few hours is good, I like lots
of fresh parsley in this too.

Dragon