[Sca-cooks] Wanted: Bean Recipes

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Mon Aug 11 13:20:46 PDT 2008

Stefan wrote:
> Interesting. I'm supposed to minimize my carbs, so I look at the
> readings, but I don't remember beans being low carb.

I know, I keep wondering about this myself, since there's a lot of starch in
beans.  I think it has to do with the whole "glycemic index" business that's
so popular in dieting these days - I suspect that beans have a low glycemic
index.  Beans also have a lot of protein and no fat.

Here's the list of beans & legumes from the "foods to enjoy" list on the
official South Beach diet website:

Adzuki Beans
Black Beans
Black-eyed peas
Broad Beans
Butter Beans
Cannellini Beans
Chickpeas (garbanzos)
Edamame
Fava beans
Great Northern beans
Italian beans
Kidney beans
Lentils
Lima beans
Mung beans
Navy beans
Pigeon beans
Pinto beans
Refried beans, fat-free, canned
Soy beans
Split peas
White beans

> You might want to look at these two files in the FOOD-VEGETABLES
> section of the Florilegium:
> beans-msg        (119K)  6/ 9/00    Medieval, old-world beans. Recipes.
> peas-msg          (88K)  1/10/03    Period peas. Pea broth. Recipes.
>
> I've also got a bunch of newer stuff to go in each of these two
> files, which I'd be willing to send you. I've been holding off adding
> them to these files because both are getting so big I need to find
> another way to split them up, and because it is often difficult to
> figure out whether a message should go in the "beans" or the "peas'
> category.

Thank you, Stefan, I'd appreciate seeing the new information you have.
Checking the Florilegium is on my list of things to do, just haven't gotten
to it yet today.

> Modernly, there are a number of bean soups. Are soups allowed under
> your program?

As long as you're not adding a ton of fat or salt.  And, for Phase 1, no
carrots or potatoes.  We love bean soups...in the winter...  ;)

Thanks,

Helena