[Sca-cooks] weird question - honey fast???

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 11 22:08:00 PDT 2008

Antonia Calvo wrote:
> Suey wrote:
>
>> Personally I would prefer to talk about amusingly odd medieval
>> prohibitions like pancakes, perhaps that was in the Netherlands?
>> Don't know if that had anything to do with lust but I think this
>> could be an amusing subject if kept to the medieval time period.
>

> I don't think there was ever any specific prohibition of pancakes.
> They just happen to be made of non-Lenten ingredients, like eggs.

Exactly so, Pancakes use up a lot of fat and eggs and sweet stuff.
That's why Shrove Tuesday is sometimes called Pancake Tuesday.  North
American restaurant chain International House of Pancakes still
celebrates it, here's the web page for this past year:
http://www.ihoppancakeday.com/pancake-day-details.html

Damn, now I want waffles with butter and syrup.

Flat-breads of the plainer sort were still on the Lenten menu, you can't
deny people bread!  Or communion wafers, arguably the most important
flat-bread in Medieval life.

Selene