[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Camp Cooking

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Aug 11 22:02:09 PDT 2008

I combine water, salt, and oats. Let them soak for some hours. Then
fry as thin cakes in a dry frying pan.

I should see how it works with butter or oil in the pan, but I was
trying to reconstruct something consistent with Froissart's
description, and I didn't think scottish troopers could rely on
having perishable fats with them.

>Do you soak the oats first?
>I had some oat bread at a potluck last week that was quite interesting.
>Modern recipe, but still good.  Apparently, instead of mixing the dry oats
>into the dough, one starts by cooking them, just like oatmeal....
>--Maire

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com