[Sca-cooks] OOP More schools ban Peanut Butter

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Tue Aug 12 07:03:52 PDT 2008

Thank you for this reply, Niccolo-I agree that both the majority and
minority interests need to be protected; why should other children be denied
because of my child's issues? That isn't fair. SOunds like a typical CYA
bureaucratic response, perhaps. But the comment about putting all the
allergic kids in a room and feeding them peanuts was just hateful.
At 6, Margaret understands that she can't eat peanuts, and they make her
sick, and she remembers getting the shot in her leg and going to the
emergency room last year. In a few years, she will be old enough to
administer her own Epi-Pen.
I have no idea if they do it, but it would seem to me reasonable to have all
people who work with kids get some basic first aid training, including how
to recognize allergic reactions. You don't know you have an allergy until
you have a reaction, after all, and I worry about all those other kids out
there who have more severe allergies and just don't know about it. Or all
the other people who have allergies and may or may not know about it, which
is why we always had ingredients lists and recipes available when we did
feasts. Personally, I dislike "secret ingredients" and "secret recipes"
anyway, that's a temperament thing. As parents, we have to be eternally
vigilant, that's in the job description, and it goes without saying that as
cooks we don't want to make our people sick either (well, everyone on this
list is perfectly well aware of proper food handling practices, and I'm sure
everyone on this list also has stories about getting sick when these weren't
properly followed, but that's another issue). But, if we in the SCA banned
everything that people were allergic to, it would be a pretty boring feast.
So, thanks for letting me rattle on. Take care, be well, and if it's not
fun, quit doing it! (;-)
YIS,
Isabella de la Gryffin

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine