[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Camp Cooking

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 08:43:08 PDT 2008

> I know that other kingdoms/groups closer to
>Cooper's Lake have very elaborate camp set ups,

Ansteorra Royal had a very impressive kitchen
setup. Two full stoves with ovens that were propane
powered and a huge double sink with hot water.
It was housed in a very large Grimm's style tent
and had pretty much all the storage and gear you
could ask for.

We had fresh baked bread or rolls every day as
well as cobblers and pies.

I was VERY impressed with the setup that Camp
Mommy had. And she worked her tail off with at
least two and sometimes up to four meals a day.

None of the food was period, unfortunately (I
need to work with her on that) but it was very
filling and tasty.

Examples:
Breakfast was usually eggs, sausage, & bacon
with things like french toast, pancakes, hashbrowns,
corned beef hash, etc....added.

Dinners included meatloaf night, pirogis, beef
stew, vegetables, salads, desserts, etc...

I don't think there was much in the way of
refridgeration so Camp Mommy (Mistress
Seraphina) went into town every day to get
fresh ingredients.

It was very strange being in a camp full of people
and eating in camp every night and we didn't cook
any of it. Kind of nice...but strange.

> However, the fun part I had was making a variety of period inspired dishes
> and watching everyone enjoy the food. I did have a couple of nights of
> "modern" cuisine. So when I was asked if Chili Dogs were period, my
> response was "Yes, to the 20th century".

When we fed the camp at Gulf Wars this year we only
had one night of period food. Personally I think it was
the best meal we did. The rest of the time it was with
modern food. Yeah, I'm a bit ashamed of that but we
had so much going on in getting things ready that we
just threw well-known recipes together and worked
exclusively with the Seal-A-Meal.

And we won't get to feed folks this next Gulf Wars.
I keep this up and I'm going to get lazy.
We met up with a lady from a mercenary company that
we fed and evidentally they were still talking about the
meal.   :-)

> I am also pleased that all my classes appeared to be well attended at
> Pennsic. If anyone on this list happened to attend any of my classes, I
> would appreciate some feedback.

I'm very sorry to have missed them. Being Heirs kept us
pretty busy and prevented us from doing stuff we really wanted
to do.

> Euriol

Gunthar