[Sca-cooks] Fruit and Meat

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 13 16:35:28 PDT 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 6:52 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Dragon said:
> <<< I think a large part of the problem is that people in the U.S. are
> acculturated to assume fruit = sweet = dessert while meat = not sweet
> = not dessert. >>>
>
> Some of this may be true. Can anyone give me a "dessert" dish that
> *does* contain meat?
>
> The only one I could think of is mincemeat pie, but I also believe
> mincemeat pie doesn't actually contain any meat.

It used to; there are several extant 17th (and, I think, 16th) century
recipes calling for beef or veal, plus suet. The filling is
essentially a sausage mixture with lots of fruit mixed in.

Many modern recipes still call for the suet, though.

There's also suet in quite a few English steamed, boiled and baked
puddings that are sweet and eaten as desserts.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter