[Sca-cooks] OT Food Allergies

wildecelery at aol.com wildecelery at aol.com
Thu Aug 14 15:54:04 PDT 2008

As someone with severe food issues (at least in the modern world... citric acid) and an educator, I can see both sides of the coin.

I work in a "nut free building."? however, I see granola bars with nut flour?all day long, I see lip glosses and hand lotions that?I know contain nut oils, yet these are not being policed.? I also had my head handed to me, when as a World Language teacher,?I tried to work with a parent and student to find?cultural foods that?I could bring to the classroom that would not endanger the student.? On this same token, my school has no problem serving citrus-based punch at all funtions, ordering Pizza for late meetings etc... So, as I see it it is often the establishment making blanket and unenforced rules for logical reasons, without grasping the scope of the rule/reality and without creating a framework to guarantee that the safety factors are upheld.

My .02

-Ardenia