[Sca-cooks] Roux

euriol euriol at ptd.net
Thu Aug 14 15:57:26 PDT 2008

I am reminded of a statement that was posed to me at Pennsic, and wanted to
probe the broad knowledge of this forum. The statement was that there is a
rumor of a pre-17th century recipe sauce or similar dish that used roux as
a thickener. The rumor indicated it may have been from a German source. I
did attend a class that was an overview of the extant period German
sources, and I asked the lady who was teaching the class afterward if she
had come across such a recipe. She believes she did, but it may not have
been from a German source... but perhaps a French one. It being the last
Friday of Pennsic, I'm sure we were all a little brain fried.

So... my quest is to find out if this recipe does indeed exist. Has anyone
come across such a recipe in any of the pre 17th century recipe
collections?

Thank you,
Euriol