[Sca-cooks] "Child Safing"

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Aug 15 12:10:47 PDT 2008

Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

> Moderate "child safing" is actually a fairly old idea. In the 1950's
> child gates,
> play pens, electric outlet covers, and sequestering things like
> ammonia were
> pretty common. Basically, the problem is that toddlers can be FAST. What
> this means is that you need to either restrict the range of motion of
> the toddler
> (such as tying them to your back while you are working) or otherwise
> keep them
> out of reach of quick acting dangers which do not present their own
> feedback
> mechanisms to children prior to becoming dangerous.

Oh yes...

Mine are grown, but I still remember the rapidity with which they could
get into trouble! I even belled mine- as soon as they could move about,
I put bells on their shoes. My son managed to foil that though- he
figured out that if the bells were still ringing I wouldn't think he was
in trouble. I'd check up on him and find him knee-deep in something,
with one foot stuck out and going jingle-jingle-jingle. We also had to
put a hook on the front door at parent-level because he had a habit of
sneaking out before I was awake. Started doing that at about 2. Neighbor
brought him home one morning, and I didn't know he'd been out. With all
three toddlers at the same time it's a wonder my hair isn't completely
white.

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore