[Sca-cooks] Cooking steaks was Re: lethal drinks

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Sat Aug 16 19:49:31 PDT 2008

I'm replying really late but I can't help but relate my own off-topic
temperamental-chef story...

I was about 7, which put this around 1964, when my mother's beau took me to
a lovely restaurant for dinner while we waited for her flight back home. I
remember feeling oh-so-grown-up, 'dining out' with a tall handsome man from
the Greek Diplomatic Corp. So I was determined to be on my best behaviour. I
ordered a steak, rare, but when it came it was cooked medium. I was at a
loss... finally, I told the waiter there must have been a mistake on my
order and could he take it back?

He did, and promptly returned with the head chef behind him, who lectured me
loudly about "spoiled little girls who don't know what a good steak is"
before he turned on his heel and stormed back into the kitchen.

I was appalled. My escort was amused.

He was more amused when I told the waiter, "In that case, I will take that
steak after all. Please bring me some ketchup to top it and make sure the
chef is aware of my request."

Oddly, Nicco gave me a book on etiquette for my birthday a few weeks
later...

Hrothny