[Sca-cooks] Child safing
Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps
dephelps at embarqmail.com
Mon Aug 18 18:59:52 PDT 2008
Remember that famous French Royals incident? "Wild men of the woods" who
got to close to the fire. Was it an accident?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Margaret Rendell" <m_rendell at optusnet.com.au>
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Child safing
> It's not at all historic...
> from my local online paper, today...
>> A man has died after catching fire at a pub near Bendigo last night.
>> The 49-year-old man was sitting on a ledge in front of an open fireplace
>> in the Kangaroo Flat Hotel's beer garden about 7.45pm, police said.
>> Soon after, one of the hotel's staff saw the man standing ablaze about
>> eight metres from the fireplace.
>> The pub's staff turned a garden hose on the man, putting out the fire,
>> before calling an ambulance.
>> The man suffered burns to 60 to 80 per cent of his body, an ambulance
>> spokeswoman said.
>> She said the man was believed to have fallen into the fireplace.
>> The man was taken to Bendigo Hospital, then airlifted to the Alfred
>> Hospital burns unit about 9.30pm.
>> The man died at 2.45 am, police said.
>> A report will be prepared for the coroner.
> Also on this topic: I'm still trying to find the link, but a few weeks ago
> I read a children's book from the (18th?) century that was in scanned copy
> online. It was all about children who behaved in unsafe ways, and the
> horrible deaths they suffered. In the page of the girl who'd caught on
> fire, it was commented that she should have fallen down and rolled about.
> Krae Glas, Lochac/Melbourne, Australia
>> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Kathleen Madsen <kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com>
>>> It's not all that historic.
>>> My Great-grandmother died when her hair caught fire on the cook stove.
>>> It wasn't the fire, smoke, or carbon monoxide that caused her demise -
>>> it was the extent of the burns.
>>> --- On Fri, 8/15/08, sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org
>>>> On a marginally related note, I remember always being
>>>> mystified by the
>>>> claims that such-and-such-a-child or woman in some
>>>> historical setting
>>>> died after "falling into the fire". But add
>>>> things like corsets on the
>>>> victims and thermal updrafts in a large fireplace, not to
>>>> smoke and carbon monoxide, and it starts to seem like a
>>>> more viable
>>> Sca-cooks mailing list
>>> Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> Sca-cooks mailing list
> Sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
More information about the Sca-cooks