[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP: Edward Gorey, was Child safing

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 19 11:59:42 PDT 2008

>Daniel Myers wrote:
>  > On Aug 18, 2008, at 6:24 PM, Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:
>  >> (Q is for Quentin who sank in a mire,)
>  >> R is for Rhoda consumed in a fire...
>  >
>  > OooOOoo ... Another Edward Gorey fan!  I think that makes two of us in
>  > this country.
>  >
>  > - Doc
>
>I like Gorey too, so that makes three...
>
>'Lainie

Puh-leez! "The Vinegar Works: Three Volumes of Moral Instruction"
boxed set - which, besides "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" (the alphabet
book to which people are referring), includes "The Insect God" and
the completely wordless "The West Wing" -  was on my Christmas
wishlist in 1963, the year it was published. Needless to say, my
parents did not get it for me. I had seen a couple of his works a
year or two earlier. So i've been a fan for over 45 years. Plus,
Gorey is a favorite among the Goths i know (adults, not mall rats). A
lot more fans than just the few of us on this list.

Besides some of the individual books, I now own Amphigorey,
Amphigorey Too, Amphigorey Also, and Amphagorey Again, which are
anthologies of his works. Of course i also own collections of the
cartoons of Charles Addams, which used to run in "The New Yorker"
magazine, which my parents subscribed to for close to 50 years - i
remember my fondness for them as a child in the 50s.

--
Somebody sometimes called Urtatim

My LibraryThing