[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 19 13:55:11 PDT 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Gaylin Walli wrote:

> Not too long ago, I published a question on the Middle Kingdom Cooks
> list
> asking what kind of tips people had come up with for working in SCA
> kitchens. I wasn't interested in the "Make sure you have a plan"
> sort of
> suggestions, or "Use Excel" kind of tips, but things a bit more
> practical,
> such as "If you run out of pasty bags, try using a zippered plastic
> bag with
> the corner cut off" and "When shopping in bulk for some of your feast
> supplies, wear a modern chef's jacket."
>
> I received a few responses, but I'm sure there are more that other
> people
> have garnered over the years. What are they? I'd love to hear them.

Post your menu on the wall. Post your recipes to the right of that,
with quantities and instructions.

Sideboards are a wonderful, wonderful invention. Put cold course on
sideboard before feast, serve a hot course first, then the cold
course, which leaves you more time to cook and assemble the third, hot
course (or some variation on this if you have a lot of courses).

Always buy a box of Kosher Salt (or be sure you have one). Season with
it, throw handfuls of it on the floor when someone spills grease on
the floor in the middle of service and there's no time to stop and
clean properly. Later, scour pots with it.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy more expensive cuts of meat, if you can
cook them quickly and minimize shrinkage, rather than buying the
cheaper cuts that require boning, trimming, skinning, etc. You may
find that after you throw away half of the meat's weight, it was more
expensive.

Time _is_ money. Sometimes it's worth it to take the extra time to
save money, and sometimes it's not.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter