[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Tue Aug 19 15:54:05 PDT 2008

Kathleen A Roberts wrote:

>  Antonia Calvo <ladyadele at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> I know everyone isn't a fan of this method, but I like to completely
>> prep and freeze some things ahead and I've also been known to
>> partially prep and freeze.
>

> it is indeed your friend.  i have seen more than one large feast fail
> because the head cook wanted to do everything on site.
>
> also, have a lot of friends with freezers, so you can borrow space.

Oh, definitely-- lean on friends for space or equipment where you can.

I, too, have seen feasts that, while not exactly failures, could have
gone much more smoothly with more or better pre-prep.

Oh, another tip is that some prepared goods are better and cheaper than
what you can make yourself.  For example, I have access to a supplier
that makes high-quality unsalted meat stocks and sells in semi-bulk
packs a very moderate price, so I nearly always buy rather than make.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?