[Sca-cooks] Another cast iron question

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 06:39:44 PDT 2008

Actually those are used to provide water for cooking, tea, etc.  And the
hibachi that's being used is substantially larger than what we normally
think of when we think of "hibachi."  These are usually about 3' long by
about a foot and a half wide and deep.  The outer shell is usually made of
wood with a metal liner for the fire.  The hook contraption is used not only
for tea kettles but for cooking pots as well.  Not all of them have the
wooden carved fish, but often other carved things as well...or maybe just a
handsome piece of wood.

If you are trying to cure something like a corn stick pan, that can be done
the same way you would do any cast iron pan...coat it in edible oil and bake
it in a 200 degree oven for about a half hour or so.

Hope this helps!

Kiri