[Sca-cooks] OOP: Stone Fruits

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 2 17:04:56 PDT 2008

I love summer stone fruits - cherries, peaches, apricots, plums, and
more... But i've been rather disappointed the last few times i bought
some, mealy, insipid, flavorless, so i've not been buying much.

This year i decided to give in and buy some. And for the first time,
i bought some pluots. I've seen them in my favorite fresh produce
orgy market, the Berkeley Bowl, but always resisted these hybrids.
This year i brought home 2 or 3 varieties. Oh. My. Gawd. Oral bliss!

For those who are not sure, they're a cross of plums and apricots.
Didn't sound all that promising to me. But i am now a convert.

I got one kind that had a gorgeous scarlet skin. The interior was
pretty much the same color, but luminous, translucent. And the flavor
was fantastic. I also got some that were sort of banana slug
yellow-green. The interior was golden-yellow with a hint of apricot
orange. These were absolutely the best.

I'm going back on Monday for another fix and i'll try to remember the names.

I also got apricots which were juicy and apricot-y. And some peaches
that were a deep disappointment - flavorful, but mealy.

And i've been trying various types of cherries. Many i find rather
insipid, but i enjoyed the last batch - they were yellow with red
cheeks, so to speak, and the interior is pale yellow. They were
sweet, with a hint of pleasant ripe tartness (not unripe sourness).

Anyway, if you've never tried pluots, i recommend them. The ones i
got were a tad hard, and i figured they were unripe and sour. So i
washed them and kept them out for a day or two, refrigerated them
(cuz i don't want to encourage the fruit flies), then kept them out
another day, refrigerated them, then got impatient. They were still
rather hard when i bit into them, but the flavor! the sweetness!
surprised me. I can only hope that you get some as good.

--
someone sometimes called Urtatim