[Sca-cooks] Uses for fresh apricots???

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Mon Aug 4 01:57:05 PDT 2008

This was sent to me about two weeks ago from a friend after I mentioned
growing up with a apricot tree in the back yard. We either ate them fresh,
made preserves of them or made a cake and glaze.
Huette, Sorry to hear about your tree. :(

Apologies if any of these duplicate.

Apricot Pasta Salad

4 oz. fusilli (corkscrew) pasta
6 fresh apricots (3/4 lb), cut into quarters
1 whole chicken breast
2 small zucchini (1/2 lb), julienned
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp. Apricot Basil Dressing (recipe follows)

Cook pasta as package directs; drain and let cool.  Combine pasta, apricots,
chicken, zucchini, red pepper, and basil in bowl.  Toss with dressing.
Makes 4 servings.
____
Apricot Basil Dressing

2 apricots
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. sugar
1tbsp fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dry basil)
1 /4 cup vegetable oil

Combine 2 fresh ripe apricots (pitted), 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar and 1
Tbsp. sugar in blender, whirl until blended.  With blender running, slowly
add 1/4 cup vegetable oil until thick and smooth.  Stir in 1 Tbsp. chopped
fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil.  Makes 1 cup.
_____
Fresh Apricot Dessert Topping

2 cups sliced fresh apricots
1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 Tbsp. apricot nectar or orange juice
Muscat dessert wine

Mix everything together. Use as a topping for pound cake, ice cream, frozen
yogurt, etc.

Apricot Sunshine Breakfast Cake

8 fresh apricots
1/4 cup soft shortening
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 or 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
12 walnut halves
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
cinnamon (optional)

Heat oven to 375°. Mix sugar, egg and shortening thoroughly.   Stir in milk.
Blend in flour, baking powder and salt.  Melt margarine or butter. Sprinkle
as much cinnamon over brown sugar as you wish.

Halve and pit apricots.  Place rounded side up in rows of four.  You may
need fewer or more apricots, depending on their size.  Spread cake mixture
over apricots.  Bake 25-35 minutes.  When done place a plate over pan and
flip cake out of pan.  Place a walnut half in each apricot cup.  Serve warm.

Fried Apricot

Fresh Apricot halves
1 cup sifted flour
1 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 eggs
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tsp. lemon juice

Beat eggs until very light; add all other ingredients plus just enough cold
water to make a batter like a heavy cream.  Dust apricot halves with flour
and dip in batter.  Fry in deep cooking oil or shortening.  Drain and dust
with powdered sugar.
____
Mixed Greens with Apricot
Vinaigrette, Feta, Walnuts & Almonds

Fresh Apricots, sliced
1 Tbsp. balsamic or red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. water
1 small clove garlic
1/2 tsp. fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
1 Tbsp. olive oil
8 cups mixed greens
3 oz. feta
1/8 cup chopped walnuts
1/8 cup sliced almonds
Black pepper or cubeb to taste

In food processor or blender combine 6 apricot halves with vinegar, water,
garlic & thyme, blend until smooth. Add olive oil and continue blending for
15 seconds; chill. Crumble feta into salad and add additional apricot
slices. Mix with apricot vinaigrette, walnuts and almonds.