[Sca-cooks] A pudding in egges

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Aug 6 16:59:11 PDT 2008

Alexandria Doyle wrote:
> I came across two receipts that I'm curious about and am looking for
> clarifications.  The sources are as follows:
> A Book of Cookrye,  by A. W., London, 1591.  Originally published
> 1584.  STC 24897
> Found at http://jducoeur.org/Cookbook/Cookrye.html
>
> Receipt #1
> A Pudding in Egges.snipped
>
> receipt #2
> A Pudding in a Cowcumber.snipped
>
> Because these recipes were in the section with boiling things, I'm
> assuming that once the egg or cucumber is stuffed it is then boiled?

Maybe simmered gently might be better.
> If one doesn't have mutton broth, what is a good substitute?

How about beef stock? Or get lamb bones and make a lamb stock.
> If one doesn't have suet, what is a good substitute?

Ask at the local meat market if they have suet. It may be available.
> I have beef liver in the freezer, but no lamb or pig's liver.  Would
> that be an okay substitute?

That would be a start and use up something you already have.
> I've not made anything like these before but I'm quite curious...
>
> alex

Here are some other pudding recipes for comparison sake:

This is an excerpt from *A NEVV BOOKE of Cookerie*
(England, 1615)
The original source can be found at Thomas Gloning's website
<http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/1615murr.htm>

A Liueridge or Hogges Pudding. BOyle a Hogges Liuer well, let it be
through colde: then grate it like Bread: grate Bread, take new Milke,
the fat of the Hogge minst fine, put it to the bread, and the Liuer, the
more the better, deuide it into two parts. Take store of drye Hearbes,
that are very well dryed, mince them fine, put the Hearbes into one
part, with Nutmeg, Mace, Pepper, Annisseedes, Rose water, Creame, and
Egs, wash the skinnes, and then fill them vp, and let them boyle enough.
To the other sort put Barberryes, sliced Dates, Currins, new Milke and
Egs, worke them as the other.

This is an excerpt from *A NEVV BOOKE of Cookerie*
(England, 1615)
The original source can be found at Thomas Gloning's website
<http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/1615murr.htm>

A Pudding stued betweene two Dishes. TAke the yolkes of three Egges, and
the white of one, halfe a dozen spoonefuls of sweet Creame, a Nutmeg
grated, a few Cloaues and mace, a quarter of a pound of Beefe Suit minst
small, a quarter of a pound of Currens, temper it like a Pudding with
grated bread, and a spoonefull of Rosewater. Then take a Kell of Ueale,
cut it in square pieces like Trenchers, lay three spoonefuls of the
batter vpon one side, then roule it vp in the Cawle: pin one side ouer
the other with two small prickes, and tie each end with a threed. You
may put two, three, or foure of them in a Dish, then take halfe a pinte
of strong Mutton broth, and halfe a dozen spoonefuls of Uinegar, three
or foure blades of large Mace, and an Ounce of Sugar. Make this broth to
boyle vpon a Chafingdish of coales, and then put in your Pudding: when
it boyles couer it with an other Dish, and let it stue a quarter of an
houre longer. Turne them for burning, then take vp your Pudding, and lay
it vpon sippets, and poure the broth vpon the toppe. Garnish your Dish
with the coare of a Lemmon, and Barberryes: serue them hot, eyther at
Dinner or Supper.

This is an excerpt from *A NEVV BOOKE of Cookerie*
(England, 1615)
The original source can be found at Thomas Gloning's website
<http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/1615murr.htm>

To make a Pudding in a Frying-panne. TAke foure Egges, two spoonefuls of
Rosewater, Nutmeg grated, Sugar, grated Bread, the quantitie of a penny
Loafe, halfe a pound of Beefe Suit minst fine: worke them as stiffe as a
Pudding with your hand, and put it in a Frying-pan with sweet Butter,
frye it browne, cut it in quarters, and serue it hot, eyther at Dinner
or Supper. Jf it be on a fasting day leaue out the Suit, and the
Currens, and put in two or three Pomewaters minst small, or any other
soft Apple that hath a good relish.

Johnnae