[Sca-cooks] Dredge?

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 11:23:49 PDT 2008

Saluti!

In doing research I came across the following recipe in The Good
Huswife's Handmaid:
http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/ghhk/

To bake Peaches.
TAke Peaches, pare them, and cut them in two peeces, & take out the
stones as cleane as you can for breaching of the Peach: then make your
pie three square to bake fowre in a pie, let your paste be verie fine,
then make your dredge with fine Sugar, Synamon and Ginger: and first
lay a little dredge in the bottome of your pies: Then put in Peaches,
and fill vp your coffins with your Dredge, and put into euery coffin
three spoonfuls of Rosewater. Let not your Ouen be too hot. &c.

The "make up your dredge" thing implies to me a technique that they
are not making terribly clear. "Filling up your coffins" with your
dredge implies to me that there is a lot more going on here than
sugar, cinnamon and ginger. There has to be more to it. There is only
one more recipe in the manuscript that calls for a dredge and it is
the next one:

To bake pippins.
TAke your pippins and pare them, and make your coffin of fine paste,
and cast a little sugar in the bottome of the pie. Then put in your
Pippins, and set them as close as ye can: then take sugar, sinamon,
and Ginger, and make them in a dredge, and fill the Pie therewith: so
close it, and let it bake two houres but the Ouen must not be too hot.

Very similar. Has anyone stumbled across anything similar. It has to
be some sort of additional filling or technique. Any thoughts would be
greatly appreciated.

Ciao!

--
Serena da Riva