[Sca-cooks] Take the Train (or Skytrain?)

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 06:17:03 PDT 2008

> I do remember wishes/rumors years ago of folks in the West
> Kingdom who wanted to lease a boxcar/container and send their
> stuff to Pennsic that way, and be able to camp in style. I
> think they were planning on flying themselves over and not
> travel by train though.
> Interesting, but sounds like a real logistics headache.

In the wishes/not-a-rumour (I WAS There) category, circa A.S. XIV - XV
one Thomas Dragonflyer and some others of the Moonschadeen were
semi-seriously investigating the rental / lease / purchase of a DC-3 or
similar cargo / mixed-use aircraft for transport to SCA events,
wargaming, and SF&F conventions.

Nothing ever directly came of that to the best of my knowledge, although
my memory sez that Thomas and a passenger or two did travel to one or
more SCA events via private plane (think Cessna 150) shortly after he
attained his private pilot single-engine rating.  Significant limiting
factor was difficulty in finding reliable ground transport from the
small local airfields they were trying to use...

The updated version of the "wish" / cargo craft was thus for something
large enough, equipped with a ramp, that it could haul a VW "Thing" (the
new-production descendant of the Kubelwagen that was sold in the
American passenger vehicle market in the mid-70s) or similar lightweight
& high-capacity ground auxiliary transport.

We always did tend to dream large...

Amra / Kihe / Mike