[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 28, Issue 33

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 11 10:48:44 PDT 2008

Johnnae said:
>The September 2008 issue of Saveur magazine (number 113)
>has a major article in it on watermelons.
>
>Included in that article on pages 78-79 is a paragraph devoted to
>the art of watermelon carving. Of interest to us in the SCA, is the
>section that talks about the history of fruit carving.
>"In Thailand, however, the elaborate carving of watermelon and other
>fruits and
>vegetables is a long-standing and respected tradition that dates to the
>14th century, when
>the art evolved in the court of King Phra Ruang. Chefs for Thai nobility
>and
>royalty were expected to make food that was not only delicious but also
>beautiful,
>even fantastical." page 78.
>
>The issue is on newsstands now. It's the issue with the watermelon on
>the front.
>Online one can find a demo of how to carve a watermelon
>http://www.saveur.com/
>
>Johnnae

When I was at BIO 2008 in San Diego, the Thai exhibit pavilion in the convention hall during the opening reception had a display of fruit carvings and a couple of little-tiny-exquisitely-dressed-and-made-up ladies working on even more carvings. They had these little silver knives, with enameled and jeweled handles. No ordinary kitchen blades here!

Gianotta