[Sca-cooks] allergies

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Tue Aug 12 11:13:14 PDT 2008

This is v. amusing, a sorely needed dose of humor into my crappy day.
(mundane nonsense, and plus it's gray and raining all day here in
Tallahassee). I've never been (un)fortunate enough to get a chance to try
poi, living on the east coast, but I have heard it's rather, um, bland. I
have to avoid lentils, myself, not an allergy, exactly, they just don't like
me. Beano only goes so far.
It is not possible to live a completely risk-free life, plus it would be
_really_ boring. So, sensible and reasonable risk management is the word of
the day.
Our insurance company charges us the highest prescription fee, $40, for the
epi-pen jr. Last year we needed three of them, one for home (at home or in
my bag,) one for the nurse's office down the hall from the cafeteria, and
one for her classroom in a portable on the other side of campus. $120, all
told. Better to have them and not need them, but it was still a fair chunk
of change. And she seems to have developed, just lately, a milk sensitivity
that looks a lot like my lactose intolerance-still waiting to see how that
one plays out.
At least we have the tools, pretty much, to manage this sort of thing these
days. Vivat Modern Technolgy!! I love the SCA, it is my family and my home,
but not for one second have I wished to live back then. I'd probably be dead
in childbed by now if I did.
Bleah. I'll go do something cheery now.
Poi, poi, poi, poi,...you're right, that's pretty funny...
Cheers,
Isabella

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine