[Sca-cooks] Pinto bean recipe

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 10:18:13 PDT 2008

Traditional Jewish Sabbath stew known as Cholent, Hamim, and Dafina
(and other names) is a dish of basically meat and beans with some
kind of grain.  Ashkanzi Jews (Eastern Europe) usually use meat,
barley, beans and some root veggies, while Sephardic uses chickpeas,
lamb, rice or bulger, pumpkin and later sweet potato.  There is a
recipe in A Drizzle of Honey.  I have found several others.

Sindara

At 11:42 AM 8/14/2008, you wrote:
 >True! Really, the basis of the recipe is the beans and the bacon, or
 >beans and ham.
 >
 >Maybe a good substitute would be roasted bell pepper? That's pretty
 >low carb and would add good flavor as well.
 >
 >And did anyone mention ham (or pancetta), white bean, and artichokes
 >as a possible combination? Flavorings would be garlic, onion, sage,
 >thyme, salt, pepper ... and a drizzle of really good olive oil
before serving.

 >I'm on about beans right now because I've found that I like the flavor
 >and texture of dried beans better than canned (less salty, more
 >flavorful). I can get them going in the crockpot before heading out to
 >work. And they are so cheap.
 >
 >Gianotta

 >>> 1 package of bacon
 >>> 1 onion, diced
 >>> 1 clove of garlic, minced
 >>> 1 eight-ounce can of chopped tomatoes with green chiles
 >>> 2 or 3 teaspoons of cumin
 >>> 1 teaspoon of paprika
 >>> 1 package frozen corn