[Sca-cooks] OOP More schools ban Peanut Butter

Solveig Throndardottir nostrand at acm.org
Fri Aug 15 05:19:38 PDT 2008

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig!

>>    In a nut free school, teacher has a Hershey bar, (Check the
>> label it
>> is there), touches kid with allergy that doesn't have smart
>> parents that
>> said anything.... KID DIES....  Do you want to stand in those
>> shoes when
>> it comes time to make that phone call?>>

This is almost certainly a problem created by lawyers. Those peanut
warnings
are now on just about anything including lots of stuff which is
effectively peanut
free. I suspect that lawyers will stick those warnings on the label
if a single
workman eats a PB&J sandwich in the employee cafeteria! Incidentally,
I have
a severe peanut allergy.

Peanut allergy is supposed to be the most common food allergy in
North America.
It is unreasonable for a school system to base its lunch program on
peanuts.
However, totally banning peanuts from an entire school is probably
not feasible.

Your Humble Servant
Solveig Throndardottir
Amateur Scholar