[Sca-cooks] Child safing

Margaret Rendell m_rendell at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 18 15:22:43 PDT 2008

It's not at all historic...
from my local online paper, today...

> A man has died after catching fire at a pub near Bendigo last night.
>
> The 49-year-old man was sitting on a ledge in front of an open
> fireplace in the Kangaroo Flat Hotel's beer garden about 7.45pm,
> police said.
>
> Soon after, one of the hotel's staff saw the man standing ablaze about
> eight metres from the fireplace.
>
> The pub's staff turned a garden hose on the man, putting out the fire,
> before calling an ambulance.
>
> The man suffered burns to 60 to 80 per cent of his body, an ambulance
> spokeswoman said.
>
> She said the man was believed to have fallen into the fireplace.
>
> The man was taken to Bendigo Hospital, then airlifted to the Alfred
> Hospital burns unit about 9.30pm.
>
> The man died at 2.45 am, police said.
>
> A report will be prepared for the coroner.

Also on this topic: I'm still trying to find the link, but a few weeks
ago I read a children's book from the (18th?) century that was in
scanned copy online. It was all about children who behaved in unsafe
ways, and the horrible deaths they suffered. In the page of the girl
who'd caught on fire, it was commented that she should have fallen down
and rolled about.

Margaret/Emma
Krae Glas, Lochac/Melbourne, Australia