[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP: Edward Gorey, was Child safing

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 19 12:54:31 PDT 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 2:59 PM, Lilinah wrote:

>> Daniel Myers wrote:
>> >
>> > OooOOoo ... Another Edward Gorey fan!  I think that makes two of
>> us in
>> > this country.
>> >
>> > - Doc
>>
>> I like Gorey too, so that makes three...
>>
>> 'Lainie
>
> Puh-leez! "The Vinegar Works: Three Volumes of Moral Instruction"
> boxed set - which, besides "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" (the alphabet
> book to which people are referring), includes "The Insect God" and
> the completely wordless "The West Wing" -  was on my Christmas
> wishlist in 1963, the year it was published. Needless to say, my
> parents did not get it for me. I had seen a couple of his works a
> year or two earlier. So i've been a fan for over 45 years. Plus,
> Gorey is a favorite among the Goths i know (adults, not mall rats).
> A lot more fans than just the few of us on this list.
>
> Besides some of the individual books, I now own Amphigorey,
> Amphigorey Too, Amphigorey Also, and Amphagorey Again, which are
> anthologies of his works. Of course i also own collections of the
> cartoons of Charles Addams, which used to run in "The New Yorker"
> magazine, which my parents subscribed to for close to 50 years - i
> remember my fondness for them as a child in the 50s.

I think my fave, from the ones that never made it into the big
collections (AFAIK) is a _relatively_ recent one called "The Loathsome
Couple". Lines that leap out at the reader include, "It was during
that winter that he caught the cold that afterwards never left him,"
and, "They spent the better part of the afternoon murdering the child
in various ways."

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter