[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 15:19:29 PDT 2008

More suggestions:

--Measure your spices ahead of time, but take a long an extra bit in case
you need to increase what you've added.  I usualy put them in small plastic
baggies.

--Have pre-cooks, doing as much as you can ahead of time.  You may need to
experiment to figure out what can be prepared ahead of time and what can't.
This decreases the amount of work and tension the day of the event.

--Make sure that some of your help in the kitchen are folks that you can
simply hand a recipe to and let them go...but be sure you check on what
they're doing to make sure it's working out the way you intended.

--If you're using one of those software programs that will automatically
expand quantities, always add less seasoning than the expanded recipe calls
for...often the quantities of spices won't be accurate and it's always easy
to add more than it is to remove too much.

--If you have room in your freezer, look for sales well ahead of your feast,
particularly on meats.  Often things like beef, lamb and pork can even be
frozen in their marinade (if you're using one), adding to the flavor and
tenderness of less expensive cuts.

That's about all I have....maybe you might think about taking all of these,
putting them together and doing an article for TI???

Kiri