[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 10:09:44 PDT 2008

> It did come in handy for camp cooking for 20+ people when
> I had no oven and only a coleman stove. I wanted to avoid scorching the
> rice on the stove even at the lowest flame I could get. I certainly don't
> like the tasted of burnt rice.

> I thought it to be a reasonable option.

It's not too bad if cooked in a good chicken stock or some
type of flavored broth or water. But there are better options.

If you wish to aviod the burning of rice there are a couple of things
you can do when camping.
First is pre-cook the rice and seal. Then drop the bag of cooked
rice into hot water. No mess.

If you must use a pre-packaged rice then I suggest "Uncle Ben's
Boil-In-Bags". In taste tests it has scored the highest and is
very good and convenient. There is also much less cleanup
than cooking rice in a pot. Personally, I hate scrubbing pots
when camping.

> Is there something odd about the Minute Rice that I just don't taste?

There is very little rice flavor in Minute Rice. More of a processed
cardboard taste. And the texture is way off. There are much
better choices out there currently.

> Euriol

Yers,

Gunthar