[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 20 11:48:37 PDT 2008

Ugh. Minute Rice - which i grew up on - ah, the friendly smiling face
of Uncle Ben - tastes like paper pulp.

>It did come in handy for camp cooking for 20+ people when
>I had no oven and only a coleman stove. I wanted to avoid scorching the
>rice on the stove even at the lowest flame I could get. I certainly don't
>like the tasted of burnt rice.

I cooked for about 15 when i made the feast for the King and Queen of
the West at Pennsic in 2007. I used a Coleman stove and didn't burn
the Jasmine rice.

But i will concede that at the average camping event, if cooking for
a large group of diners less discerning than those assembled here,
Minute Rice could sure save time and energy. I haven't cooked the
stuff myself since the late 1960s, so maybe there has been some
improvement in quality...
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita