[Sca-cooks] health dept. RE: kitchen tips

Avelyn Grene avelyn at greneboke.com
Wed Aug 20 13:40:19 PDT 2008

Officially, health department involvement depends on the rules of your
state/county.  In Ohio, for instance, non-profits are exempt from health
inspections (however, this does not mean that they haven't shown up).

As far as the specific case mentioned about keeping pasta held over
multiple hours, based on the FDA recommendations, it must be held at at
least 140 degrees, but for no more than 4 hours max.  The "authorities"
may have a problem with the pasta being in a cooler, as it is not
necessarily made of food-grade materials, and not everyone remembers to
sanitize coolers before putting ready to eat food in them.  They would
prefer the pasta to be in food safe bags, inside the cooler.

You do not necessarily need to pass a food safety course to be "legal"
(again this may depend on your area).  Just because you passed the test
does not mean that you are following the rules!

If you are looking to be "legal," the best thing to do is go to your
county health department (of the county you are serving in).  They can
tell you what you need to do, and will even help you do it!  A temporary
permit may be required, and you probably will be inspected because of it,
and this is a Good Thing(tm).  The permit rules are easy to follow.  If
you show initiative, and ask for help from your health inspector, they are
usually more than happy to help - they are there to keep people from
getting sick, not to harrass the cooks.

Also, I taught a class entitled "Food Safety in the SCA" at Pennsic - I
will post the link to the handout this evening.

Avelyn Grene
-Servsafe certified

--
Lady Avelyn Grene
Apprentice to Master Edouard Halidai

The Commonplace Boke of Lady Avelyn Grene
www.greneboke.com