[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 20 14:46:22 PDT 2008

euriol wrote:

>I have rarely used minute rice myself... but I don't taste anything in it
>that I would claim vile, just bland....<snip!>
>
>At home I use Jasmine rice because I prefer its taste. Then again I can let
>is set on the stove over the lowest flame without an issue either when
>cooking for 1-4 people. I never tried or heard about cooking it in the oven
>before. I thought it to be a reasonable option.
>
>Is there something odd about the Minute Rice that I just don't taste?

I don't find it offensive in taste, but it's very bland, without even
any rice-y flavour, and the texture borders on pre-chewed.  Yuck!
I *hated* rice as a child, and I'm pretty sure it was Minute rice that
put me off.

I use regular long-grain, Basmati, Arborio, short grain, or glutinous,
depending on what I'm cooking. We have parboiled long-grain (I think
that's "converted" rice in the U.S.) and Basmati rice here, but there's
nothing like Minute Rice here, and I can't say that I miss it one bit.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?