[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 19:57:44 PDT 2008

I have to confess that I grew up on Minute Rice.  It was the only rice that my mom would make.  And the only reason that I would eat it was because she would add a pat of real butter to it, so it had the taste of butter, which I like.  However, I have grown up and haven't used Minute Rice or Uncle Ben's or Rice-a-Rone.  I don't think that I have a good palate for rice, as most of the rice tastes the same to me, i.e. bland.  I dislike the taste and texture of the sticky rice served at most Asian restaurants.  They are only good when you put sauce on it.  I find that I do like pilaf as the rice in pilaf has a different texture.  However, pilaf usually has other things in it that usually flavors the dish.  Now, if I could find a restaurant that doesn't put peppers in their pilaf, I would be a happy camper.

Years ago, at Angel's 20th Anniversary, which was a camping event with an outdoor kitchen, one of my cooks insisted that we serve Frumenty as she said that no feast is a true feast without it.  I let her make it, which was a mistake.  She made enough to serve without getting to the burnt area on the bottom.  However, the one inch thick burnt area was almost impossible to scrape out and clean.  I will never make frumenty that way again.  If I ever consent to do frumenty again, it will be premade in boiling bags or cooking in a disposible pan in the oven.

Huette