[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 21 23:20:45 PDT 2008

On Aug 22, 2008, at 1:23 AM, Terry Decker wrote:

> If the recipe under discussion is the one I'm thinking of, the
> frumenty is wheat berries cooked in milk or cream.  It has a
> decidedly different texture from frumenties made with meal or farina.

Most of the recipes I've seen involve the grains being cooked in water
until they burst and release their starch; then it's generally cooked
further, and very slowly, with milk, then eggs and things like saffron
are added near the end of the process. Perhaps it's a matter of
interpretation, but if done right, there's not a lot of easily
discernible wheat berry structure left by the time you're done.

Using whole wheat berries will leave more fibrous berry structure in
the mass, and there is a difference between that process and using
coarsely-ground grain, but the difference is not huge, and since using
coarse-ground grain is faster, less likely to burn, and also more
appealing to many people (in my own experience, anyway), it's not a
bad option when cooking for 400 people.

If I were doing a small quantity and authenticity were my main
priority, rather than one of many, I'd use whole wheat berries.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter