[Sca-cooks] Frog's eggs addendum

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Aug 22 12:29:00 PDT 2008

Some actual Italian recipes for the dish can be found at
Baroness Helewyse's website.

A recipe that Baroness Helewyse translated from the Italian
Libro di cucina/ Libro per cuoco (14th/15th c.) (Anonimo Veneziano)reads:
http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html

*XXIV Maize dish (Frumenty) good and very useful.*
If you want to make frumenty, take the wheat berries, and grind/beat it
well until the husk lifts, then wash it well. Put it to boil in water,
but don’t boil it too much, then pour away the water. Then add inside
the fat of whichever animal you wish, and you want to make sure that you
don’t add too much. Add sweet and strong spices, and saffron, and if you
don’t have wheat then you can take rice, and it will be good.

Based on previous discussions here on SCA Cooks, she also did a paper
titled on coarse wheat dishes as found in Scappi.

Period Italian Maize recipes
<http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/maize.html>- There are three recipes
in Scappi which use a grain referred to as "formentone" which has been
identified as maize by Italian culinary historians. Currently there is
still some doubt about this identification. My doubts notwithstanding
the three recipes are transcribed and translated here.

Johnnae