[Sca-cooks] fish at feasts

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 25 04:23:06 PDT 2008

I've served pickled whiting, baked whiting and fried whiting and been
pleasantly surprised when they disappeared.  I've also served salmon, smoked
and poached, without problem, although there was one feast where some of the
tables failed to realize there were two sides to a salmon.  I'm fairly
sparing with fish because it can be a budget buster in Oklahoma, but it is
well received when I do serve it.

For several years, we had a Baron who couldn't eat chicken and a Baroness
who detested fish, so I would divide a course between chicken and fish to
meet their requirements.  At one feast I served chicken with orange sauce
and fried whiting with an apple and wine sauce.  I later found out that the
sauces were very popular, that people were playing mix and match with the
sauces on other food and that some people tried them on the roast beef in
the next course.

Bear