[Sca-cooks] cacao nibs

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Mon Aug 25 10:06:57 PDT 2008

Beth Ann Bretter did speak thusly:
> > Conching (a long, slow mixing process where some flavor
> > continues to
> > develop, especially any acidic notes)
>
>Huh.  I wasn't aware that conching actually changed the flavor of
>chocolate since it's only a complicated and intricate grinding
>system to smooth out grittiness.

It is a wet mixing process that goes on for many hours (or even
days), it does continue to develop some flavor. Like I said, this is
especially so of some acidic notes in the chocolate.

Also, many chocolates are blends of beans with differing qualities.
With few "varietal" exceptions now on the market, chocolate makers
select several types of beans to give the finished chocolate a
particular flavor profile.

And just to clarify, when I say they are gritty, I am not suggesting
it is like chewing on sand but more like chewing on roasted coffee
beans. Also, when I say it is bitter, I am comparing it to the
general profile of most chocolates one would see on the market until
very recently. The very high solids (85% or more) chocolates on the
market today are also bitter in such a comparison. I was not
suggesting that they are unpleasantly so (which I did in fact say
they are not) just that to the person expecting cacao nibs to be
chocolate, they will find the experience to be quite different.

Dragon