[Sca-cooks] fish at feasts

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 25 17:54:15 PDT 2008

Lothar wrote:
>I have been told time and again that I just "can't" serve fish or
>lamb at a SCA feast. That it will not be recieved well here in CAID.
>I KNOW that it SHOULD be eaten, that it was extremely period, and
>that lamb/mutton and various fish made up the major protein elements
>of the period diet in many cultures, BUT, I am loathe to argue with
>the powers that be. Especially at todays prices. Now if I can only
>get them to eat goat!!

Maybe it depends on *where* you live in Caid.

I'm in The West, SF Bay area - same state, same multi-ethnic,
multi-cultural cuisine, same fabulous coast-line, same fresh
seafood... well, unless you live in Las Vegas, which is quite
different than much of SoCal.

I've served lamb and fish at feasts with no problem. In fact, lamb
seems to be quite popular up here. And a friend roasted a whole kid
on a spit at one event and no scraps were left...

As we've said before on this list, sometimes it isn't the recipe - or
main ingredient - that is the problem, it's the cook. I'm certainly
not pointing a finger at you, since i've no idea what sort of cook
you are. But perhaps some of your predecessors prepared something
with lamb that was, mmm, less than successful, due to no fault of the
lamb itself...

I find it hard to imagine in sushi crazy SoCal that fish would not be
successful (unless not well prepared or served). And lamb? Rack of
lamb is an expensive item on upscale restaurant menus... clearly
someone is buying and eating it...

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita