[Sca-cooks] food laws

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 29 20:54:18 PDT 2008

Someone said back in late July:
<<< If they are, they are in violation of the current law in California
which bans the sale of horse meat for human consumption. It has been
that way for some years now after a ballot initiative enacting that
insanity was passed. I forget exactly when that was but it is in
force now. >>>

To which niccolo difrancesco responded:
<<< Speaking with the experience of having been local Police
Commissioner, "in
force" and activelly "enforced" are two different legislative and police
realities.  Drop a dime (or quarter or 50-cent piece) on them, and
you may
get an investigation on a slow shift.  Probably not a high priority
for men
with badges to run sting operations.  That makes me curious whether
Georgia
has any such food prohibitions.  I know we can eat legally squirrels,
opossum, armadillo, muskrat, beaver and capybara . . . not sure about
horse
and other domisticateds like dog, cat and guinea pig.

niccolo difrancesco
(yes, we had a "wild" capybara trapped in our city) >>>

Okay, you "can eat legally squirrels,
opossum, armadillo, muskrat, beaver and capybara" but can you sell
these meats? The above statement was that you couldn't *sell*
horsemeat. It didn't say you couldn't *eat* it, right?

Since armadillos can carry rabies (I believe), I'm a bit surprised
that you can legally eat them.

What is "capybara"? Is that a type of wild pig/javalina?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com