[Sca-cooks] Another cast iron question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 30 13:21:01 PDT 2008

Those kettles weren't so much for humidification, but for instant hot water
for the sink before gas ranges and water heaters.  A well pump at the
kitchen sink and hot water on the stove were modern conveniences in the
first half of this century.

Gas replaced the wood stove at my grandmother's around the time I was born,
but the pump at the kitchen sink lasted until it was replaced by city water
in the late 1950's or early '60's.

Bear