[Sca-cooks] Another cast iron question

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sat Aug 30 20:33:49 PDT 2008

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine

> (Many are being advertised that they are finished with enamel on the
> inside to prevent /rusting/.)

Well, we have a couple of enameled cast iron pots, one of which is a deepish
saute pan and the other one is a small frying pan. The enamel on the saute
pan started to chip on the inside, so we don't really use it anymore, but we
don't use the frying pan much, so haven't really had a problem with that.
Just a comment on what can happen with enameled cast iron. I'd be highly
annoyed if I had bought an expensive teapot and the blasted thing started to
rust on me!
But I have another question about using edible oils to season the
hibachi-it's not huge, I think it would probably fit in the oven, but what
would keep the oil from going rancid? I don't think we'd be using it more
than half a dozen times a year, outside of hurricane season and local SCA
events.
Still curious and contemplating my options; Saint Phlip's electrochemistry
experiment sounds a whole lot more appealing than the elbow grease; we don't
have that kind of battery charger but we could probably put our hands on
one.
So, still playing devil's advocate and asking questions, why would cast iron
stove paint not be appropriate? It seems to me the usage of a cast iron
hibachi is closer to a cast iron woodburning stove than a pan that you use
every day. Perhaps some of our gentles on this list who live in places where
there is actual winter could address this? The only place I have ever seen a
woodburning stove is in a house museum.
Cheers from Hurricane Land,
Isabella de la Gryffin